1. Description of the product.
PRENOLS C60 - C80 from Scotch pine (Pinus silvestris) or Norway spruce (Picea abies).
Pharmacological action is based on the activation of the protein glycosylation process through intermediates of Dolichyl - phosphate cycle, it favours reconstruction of cell membranes and restoring their function.
The preparation contains no less than 95 % of polyprenols.
4. Summary about polyprenols.
There is a fast growing interest in the world on physiology and pathology of dolichyl phosphate cycle (DPC) and compounds related to it, i.e. dolichols (DH) and polyprenols (PP).
It is known from literature data of the last years that in the case of hypertension, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, cancer, chronic alcoholism, impotence and other diseases action of DPC is disturbed and that results in decreasing of amount of DH. This could be prevented using exogenous PP.
It is known that DPC is the main element of the chain of biosynthesis in producing glyсoproteins and glycoaminoglycanes (Wan Dessel et.al., 1990).
Process ofglycosilation is very important in membranes proteins' protection, in proteolysis retarding during the synthesis and transformation, also in recognition of the exact locusus of membrane to join. Components of membranes glycoproteins' carbohydrates opens mainly outside the cell. The role of glycoproteins is to control the interaction of cells to keep immune conditions, to ensure stability of proteins. Approximately 10% of proteins and 5 to 25% of lipids glycosilate in membranes. DH are the most important components in DPC taking responsibility on bounding glycoaminoglycanes with glycoproteins. DH synthesis take place in liver of people and animals, like synthesis of cholesterol. Plant PP after getting in human organism via digestive tract can metabolise to DH and take part in the synthesis of glycoproteins in DPC.
In nature the source of PP are plants. The pharmacotherapeutic action of PP on experimental patterns of widespread diseases (multiple sclerosis, chronic pancreatite, post-vaccional allergic encephalomielite, antiseptic wounds etc.) has investigated. It has been proved that using PP:
- - decreases destruction, formation of encephalitogene peptides and the number of brain antibodies in the case of multiple sclerosis;
- - noteworthy decreases mortality in the pattern of post-vactional allergic encephalomielite;
- - exocrine function of pancreas get to standard and mortality decreases at chronic pancreatite;
- - the process of differentiation and regeneration were stimulated in the case of antiseptic wounds;
- - the process of metabolism in nerve tissue improved in the pattern of optic nerve atrophy what could happen due to activation ofglycosilation of support tissues
The literature data show that investigations about PP using in treatment was done in the USA, Japan, Sweden, Poland etc. The healing properties of PP are well-known but using them in practical medicine is limited by high prices (3-6 USD per mg according to "Sigma" catalogue) and limited amounts of PP in market. We could produce PP more cheaper.